It's amazing sometimes how you can suddenly be surrounded by so much sadness. Amid tribulation at home and at school today I decided to pay a visit to Martyn Bennett's web site. I originally found his music about 8 years ago at the local library and one track in particular on his CD Bothy Culture struck me as such a beautifully mastered tribute to a great poet Sorley McLean. The poem is Hallig and the song has wandered in and out of my mind ever since I heard it first. Last year I went to purchased the album but I couldn't find it so I bought his new album Grit. I didn't enjoy it as much as the earlier album but it was interesting and unique. I also found out that Martyn had struggled with cancer and was apparently recovering. Today I learned of his passing on January 30th. I wouldn't consider myslef a huge fan of his. I don't even know if I would buy another one of his CD's. So why would this complete strangers death, someone that I wasn't even that interested in strike me a so unbelievably sad? Ultimately everyones happiness is important to me. Sometimes it's just hard to care so much for the well being of others ... but I don't think I could ever stop. Rest in peace Martyn.
Tuesday, February 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment